Welcome to the Homestead Blog Hop!
Summer is chugging along, and here in Florida, that means severe thunderstorms. And since Hurricane Irma, that seems to also mean power outages. We had one such incident blow through this past week, which left us without power for almost 5 hours. Thankfully, we hadn’t started running the incubators yet for this round of eggs. The problem was we did have turkey poults in the brooder. I’m not 100% sure of what happened, but it looks like one of the poults was trampled in their efforts to stay warm. So now we’re down to 16 turkeys.
This was also a reminder to us to test our generator. It’s always a good idea to test it at the beginning of hurricane season. It will generally give you enough time to make any necessary repairs before the big storms start to form in August and September. We never remember to test ours early. This time around, the generator ran perfectly, but we couldn’t get anything in the house to run off of it. We’re not entirely sure why. Maybe Hurricane Irma and five days of running on generator power was just too much. Maybe the stuff in our house just pulls more wattage than it can handle. Either way, we’ll probably be shopping for a new (larger) generator. Preferably one that can run the air conditioner.
Now on to the hop…
Homestead Blog Hop will take place every Wednesday and is for all things homesteading: real food recipes, farm animals, crafts, DIY, how-to’s, gardening, anything from-scratch, natural home/health, self-sufficiency, self-reliance, natural remedies, essential oils, & more! Basically anything related to homesteading.
Meet Your Hosts!
Follow Their Blogs
from the Last Homestead Blog Hop
Each week we take turns choosing three posts to feature. Each post will be shared on all social media platforms by all of the hosts! Here are the features from Last Week’s Hop:
1. Cookie Crumb Peach Cobbler from An Off Grid Life
2. Would My Grandparents Be Happy from Little Homestead in Boise
3. How to Design Your Perfect Garden from The 15 Acre Homestead
Congrats! Feel free to grab the featured on button for your post.
Just right click and ‘save image as…’
Guidelines for this Get-Together:
- Click on the “Add your Link” Button below and add a great image of your project or recipe. Make sure you link to the page of your family friendly post – not the main page of your blog.
- Link up to three posts each week.
- Try to visit at least a few other blogs at the party. Be sure to leave a comment to let them know you stopped by.
- Link your post back to the Homestead Blog Hop. If the hop isn’t linked to your post then you cannot be featured. All featured posts will be shared on all hosts’ social media channels.
- Please link up posts that you haven’t linked to the hop before. You are welcome to link old posts from your blog.
- By joining the party, you are giving the hosts permission to use one photo from your post with a link back to your site if it is selected as one of next week’s Features.
- This is a family-friendly link up meant to inspire and motivate the homesteader in all of us.
Let the Party Begin
Link Back to be Featured!
Want to add to our Homestead Blog Hop group board that goes out to thousands of viewers?
Just follow us and then send us a message on Pinterest with your email and we’ll get you added.