Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. The weather has cooled off just enough that my outside chores don’t leave me feeling completely exhausted, but there is still enough sunshine to keep me from feeling the winter blues. It is also a great season for cooking because so many wonderful fruits and vegetables are ready to harvest.
This Hearty Sweet Potato Chili is a great way to warm up on a chilly autumn evening. I used fresh oregano and green peppers from my garden and onions, sweet potatoes and tomatoes from the local farmer’s market. The combination of sweet and savory really makes this chili unique. Add extra cayenne pepper if you like your chili to have a little kick.
Hearty Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 15.5 oz can red kidney beans
- 2 medium sweet potatoes pealed and diced
- 1 1/2 c beef stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot (3 qt or larger), brown the ground beef over medium heat.
- Add the onions, pepper, and garlic.
- Saute until the onions and pepper are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the chili to simmer.
- Reduce the temperature and cover.
- Simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese and saltine crackers, if desired.
This recipe can easily be adapted to the slow cooker. Brown the meat, onions, pepper and garlic as above in a saute pan, then add to the slow cooker. Add all of the ingredients except for the sweet potatoes. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, adding the sweet potatoes during the last 30 minutes of the cooking time.
Shared on the Homestead Blog Hop