Plätzchen means cookie in German. It’s also the name of a cardamom shortbread cookie popular around Christmas time. The dough is very crumbly and must be refrigerated like an icebox cookie before baking. After baking, the cookies are cooled and dipped in melted chocolate. I used Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate to coat the cookies. It’s a rich chocolate and slightly overpowered the flavor of the cookie. Milk chocolate may be better. Still, didn’t stop Farmboy from eating several.
This Platzchen recipe makes a light shortbread cookie that is perfect for gifting at Christmas time. They keep well in an airtight container, and it’s something different that most people won’t be gifting this season.
This Platzchen recipe makes a light shortbread cookie that is perfect for gifting at Christmas time. They keep well in an airtight container, and it's something different that most people won't be gifting this season.
- 12 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 c + 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp rum
- 2 c flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 oz melting chocolate NOT chocolate chips
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in vanilla extract and rum.
- Sift flour with cardamom, baking powder and salt. Mix into the creamed butter to make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Form into two rolls about 2" in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap. Twist the ends of the wrapping to press the dough together. Chill in the freezer or refrigerator for 2 or more hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unroll the dough and place on a cutting board. Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick cookies. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet. You can place them fairly close together, but not touching. These cookies didn't have any spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set and starting to brown slightly. Remove the cookies immediately to a cooling rack. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. I did this in a glass bowl in the microwave. Dip the cookies half way in the chocolate, place on wax paper and allow to harden.
- Once the chocolate has set up, the cookies can be stored in an airtight container.