Summer is a time of excess eggs and vegetables. With such an abundance of both, it’s a great time to combine the two in a vegetable frittata.
As a base, I like to use onions, peppers, and tomatoes. This recipe also calls for sliced mushrooms because they are a favorite for my family.
You’ll also notice that I added some sliced eggplant in these pictures because I happened to have just picked one in my garden.
Experiment to find the best combinations for your family.
I love adding tomatoes to pasta and eggs to make a heavy dish more light. They also add fantastic flavor and moisture. My Cast Iron Vegetable Frittata recipe is no exception.
Frittatas are already heavy meals because of the eggs and milk. Plus, I love to add a lot of fillings like mushrooms and cheese. The tomatoes really shine in this dish because they are so bright and refreshing.
I use cast iron for this recipe because it can easily be transferred from the stove top to the oven. Plus, a well seasoned cast iron pan will stick very little, even with eggs.
If you decide to use a different kind of pan, be sure it is oven safe.
Cast Iron Vegetable Frittata
1 Tbsp. Lard
1/2 c. Onion, diced
1/2 c. Bell Pepper, diced
8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
2 c. Tomatoes, diced
6 Whole Eggs
1/2 c. Whole Milk
8 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 tsp. Salt
Pinch of Ground Pepper
Place the oven rack on the second highest position, and preheat the broiler. Heat a 10″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the lard, coating the bottom and sides of the pan.
Saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms over medium high heat until soft and onions are translucent. (I also added sliced eggplant.)
Add the tomatoes and saute until soft.
In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and stir in cheese until well combined.
Place the cast iron pan uncovered in the oven under the broiler. Broil 6-8 minutes until the top is firm, browned, and risen.
Slice into 6 pieces with a butter knife. Serve hot.
- 1 Tbsp. Lard
- 1/2 c. Onion, diced
- 1/2 c. Bell Pepper, diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 c. Tomatoes, diced
- 6 Whole Eggs
- 1/2 c. Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 8 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Place the oven rack on the second highest position. Preheat broiler.
- Heat 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt lard in the pan and coat the bottom and sides.
- Saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms until soft and onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and saute until soft.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. Stir in cheese until well combined.
- Place cast iron pan uncovered in the oven under the broiler.
- Broil 6-8 minutes until the top is firm, browned and risen.
- Slice into 6 pieces with a butter knife. Serve hot.
Cast iron will be hot to the touch. Use pot holders when handling the cast iron.
Other vegetables, cheeses and meats can be easily substituted.