Couve a Mineira is a side dish of garlic kale or collard greens that is commonly served in Brazil during Christmas dinner.
I like kale better than collard greens, so we went with the kale. I’ve seen this recipe done both ways.
It makes a nice healthy side dish.
If you buy heads of greens, they will need to be cut into julienne strips. I bought pre-chopped kale. It comes in 1 lb bags in the produce section.
The kale can be a little bitter when sauteed, so try blanching the kale in boiling water for a few minutes before sauteing.
Pin the recipe for later:
- 1 lb kale or collard greens
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Wash and rinse the greens. Gather bunches of the leaves together and roll them up into a bundle. Thinly slice the rolls crosswise, so the leaves are cut into thin strips.
- Finely chop the garlic. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and salt, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden and fragrant.
- Add the greens and saute until they start to wilt. Melt butter over greens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 136Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 8mgSodium 421mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 4g