Risgrynsgröt is a Swedish rice pudding or porridge often served around Christmas time.
My husband loved this porridge. It’s just a little sweet and tastes just like cinnamon raisin oatmeal. It can be served with or without the raisins, but I felt it needed them. It was a little lack luster otherwise. Plus, raisins are a great compliment to cinnamon.
Another Christmas tradition is to add a whole almond to the pot. The family member who gets the almond, get a small gift (usually a piece of chocolate).
Pin this recipe for later:
- 2 c water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 c rice, short-grain rice such as pearl rice or arborio rice
- 4 1/3 c milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c raisins
- Bring the water to a boil in a sauce pan with salt, butter and a cinnamon stick.
- Add the rice, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the raisins when there is 10 minutes of cooking time left. Don’t stir until the porridge is ready.
- Add sugar to taste. Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per ServingCalories 454Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 29mgSodium 459mgCarbohydrates 80gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 14g